Tuesday, May 25, 2010

KASHMIR EUPHORIA - Part One





The moment I saw the first view of Kashmir valley, I had decided to write a travelogue of this journey to heaven. I tried writing it on my computer at first, but the words wouldn’t let me…and I switched to a journal and a pen. The land of Kashmir is as pure as a new born baby and it did not deserve the mechanical writing on a computer. I have no clue where to start from, the day one, the shikara on the Dal lake, the mesmerizing Kashmir-ki-Vaadiya, the playful waters of Lidder or my last night in Kashmir. All I know is that this place had moved me, struck me in a way that I could never come back to what I used to be, as I found my ends here.


The journey on way to Srinagar has its own charm, with sadhus and Shiva temples, on the roadside, hidden under the giant mountains, and the Chenab River flowing to meet her sea, giving a lively company all the way. I reached Srinagar in the evening, right at the dusk. This city shows you how the beauty and the beast can co-exist, at a time. You can see the serenity of Dal Lake reflecting the mountains that surround her on the left, and the fire in the eyes of the Indian armed forces on the right, every 100 meters, doing their best to protect the disputed province.


It was a rare rainy day in Srinagar, and I was taking a visit to all the Mughal Gardens right on the first day. The sound of water in those endless cascades, as they hurl down the aisle, the smell of red roses and the touch of bare feet on the fresh grasslands that touch infinity, did take me into a world called heaven. With 7 terraces and a stone channel for the running water in the centre, set in the backdrop of Pirpanjal and Zabarwan mountains, Nishat Bagh the Boulevard Road is the largest of all the Mughal Gardens and was built by Asif Khan, the elder brother of Noor Jehan. One can see the long stretches of land covered with carpets of greenery and the beautiful Dal lake right in front of the bountiful of flowers in the Nishat Bagh. The illimitable stretches of green grass and the watercourse down the cascades overlooking the Dal Lake make this the Garden of Pleasure. The Shalimar Bagh, an abode of love, a splendid garden that was built by Emperor Jehangir for his loving wife, Noor Jehan is undeniably romantic and undoubtedly a visual delight.


The clouds had invaded the sky high mountains and it had started drizzling again when I thought of cruising in the Dal Lake by the shikara. I really cannot think of an adjective to describe the experience of being in a shikara. Every time the oar pushes the water back, the sound of silence and its tranquility, asks you to slow down, slow down and indulge in the depths of silence. I took a 2-hour cruise in shikara and that allowed me to explore the floating gardens and small shops inside the Dal Lake. It still amazes me, to think of a whole new floating world inside the Dal Lake!



Avanika.


Creative Commons License
AV's Avilicious by Avanika Mote is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.

9 comments:

Ruturaj Mokashi said...

Mind blowing..!!! :-)

Avanika said...

Thanks a tonne for supporting. Come back for next parts, they're coming soon!

abhinav said...

This article and the beauty of kashmir can change the very persona of a stonehearted person. people spend thousands of rupees visiting scotland and forbidden lands not realising the very existence of heaven in their own country. Thanks avi as this article can reopen the depths of a true heaven in the minds of indians and force them to gather some courage and fight for their own land which today is more oftenly visited by foreigners. Salute to our armed forces, peace.

Avanika said...

I'm glad that this article developed a flavor of Kashmir inside you. The very aim behind this article was to personify Kashmir and make people realize what it really feels like to be in Kashmir. I take your comment as a huge compliment. Thanks a lot.

sophie said...

heroin!!!!! really a amazin article...... takes u to kashmir straight a way........ nyce way of expressing and the coordination of words are superb........ takes u to the bliss of nature... kan't wait for the second part..... wonderful avi!!!!!

Avanika said...

Hi Sophie, Thanks a zillion for your support!! I'm more than overwhelmed to see a response from you babe. "Can't wait for the second part" - That's the kind of motivation I lacked!! The second part is coming soon darling, all for you!! Please click on the "follow" option on the left bar of the blog to get notifications about this blog. Thanks a lot again, your response means a lot to me.

Cosmic ૐ Oneness said...

Awesomeness ... Loved reading all through ... You really write well Avanika ... Thanks for sharing your experiences ... Kashmir truly is paradise ... May Peace & Love inhabit the land for eternity ... Namaste ... _/\_ ... :)

Avanika said...

The first time I saw a comment by "Cosmic Oneness" I was like, @@Oh my God@@!!

I'm flying high skies here, to know that you really liked my work. Thanks in heaps man. I don't wanna sound cheesy here, but I feel honored right now, seeing your comment. Your research and blogs have always inspired me a lot. Thanks a lot again. Love & Peace ☮ ♥.

Ashish Agarwal said...

this one is a killer description...u brought the valley in front of my eyes .... The pics whisper a thousand songs..and ur words add music to the thing..Too Good.

Loved it totally....

Related Posts with Thumbnails